Federal Tax Return Service
Our core service is the preparation of the U.S. federal income tax return for individuals. This is the annual return required for all U.S. citizens and green card holders, regardless of residence. Unlike other sites offering U.S. expat tax return services, our standard package includes all of the basic forms that most U.S. expats need to include in their tax returns. We also do not charge more based on higher income.
Our service includes the preparation of the following forms and schedules:
- Form 1040 (individual tax return)
- Form 1116 (foreign tax credit)
- Form 2555 (foreign earned income exclusion)
- Schedule A (itemized deductions)
- Schedule B (interest and ordinary dividends)
- Schedule C (self-employment reporting, if required)
- Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Schedule E (one property / K-1)
It generally takes 10-14 business days to complete a standard U.S. tax return assuming all of the relevant information is timely provided. Expedited services are available for an additional fee.
In addition to the basic forms and schedules listed above, expat taxpayers may be required to file certain additional federal tax forms depending on their activities and income amounts. We prepare any and all forms that an expat taxpayer may need to file, including the following:
- Form 3520 – dealings with foreign trusts including certain foreign pensions and the receipt of large gifts from nonresidents: $500
- Form 3520-A – ownership of a foreign trust including certain foreign pensions: Due to recent changes under the Trump tax reform, we will customize our fee quote based on your circumstances.
- Form 8621 – ownership interest in Passive Foreign Investment Company: $75
- Forms 5471 and 8992 – ownership interest in foreign corporation: Due to recent changes under the Trump tax reform, we will customize our fee quote based on your circumstances.
- Form 8833 – claiming benefits under a tax treaty with the U.S.: $250
- Form 8858 – ownership in a foreign disregarded entity: $500
- Form 8938 – FATCA reporting of specified foreign financial assets: $150 (up to 5 accounts)
- Form 8829 – expenses for business use of your home: $50
- Additional Schedule C – As stated above, one Schedule C form is no extra fee. Each additional: $75
- Additional Property / K-1 in Schedule E – As stated above, one property / K-1 is no extra fee. Each additional: $75
Why Choose Expat Tax Professionals to Prepare Your Federal Tax Return?
At Expat Tax Professionals, our main focus is client satisfaction. Our experienced team of CPAs ensure that your tax-filing experience is seamless and hassle-free and that your forms are timely filed and accurate.
The qualities that set us apart are:
1. Real Experience – We only serve U.S. citizens living abroad, which means we have a thorough understanding of U.S. international taxation and your unique situation.
2. True Expertise – We only employ U.S. trained and licensed CPAs and U.S. tax attorneys. A licensed CPA prepares, reviews, and signs every return we file.
3. Painless Process – We understand you’re busy, so we’ve made it easy for you to work directly with a CPA using email and our secure site to upload documents. Your CPA is there to guide you every step of the way.
4. Flat Fee – Our pricing is simple and we provide a quote for services before we begin work. We’re all about transparency—there are no surprise fees or add-ons.
5. No Outsourcing – Unlike other companies, our expert staff does all your work in-house. We never outsource anything to a third party.
6. Safe and Secure – We take security very seriously. You can be rest assured that your information is always protected using 256-bit SSL for file transfers and 256-bit AES encryption for files at rest. This is the same security used by banks and many e-commerce sites such as Amazon.com.